Tuesday 7 July 2015

My View on Print vs Digital AGAIN.......

Why Quality Prints are Important.

Some of you have heard me say "No I don't sell digital copies".  But there are reasons why I have preferred not to.  Reasons to protect you, me and your legacy.

Let's just think about it for a few minutes......

If I was to hand you a cassette tape and tell you your images are on there, you would probably think I'm nuts. But, way back in the NOT so distant past, programs were saved on cassettes.  I know, because my favourite game on my Atari was Jaw Breaker and it was on a tape, and it was a sad day when that tape got eaten by the machine.

If I was to ask you if you wanted them on a floppy, you might think I need to get with it.... To tell you the truth it would probably be several floppy's!

Now here's something a little more scary.... If you had a newer MAC AIR and I gave you a CD, you know what you would have? A nice coaster..... No more CD drives.

Now the other little known fact is that it in the IT world, CD's are not anticipated to work for more then 10 years.  So you load the images onto your computer right?  Ok, computer software is constantly being upgraded, and with that comes hardware that needs to be upgraded to run the new software. If a key component breaks down (your hard drive for example), some things may be retrieved, but some may not.

Those precious moments... That special time.... That key turning point in your life.....

Ok next scenario is that you did get them printed.  You sent them out to that local cheap place, so you could save some money. You hang it on the wall. You come to my studio and I happen to have the same one hanging on my wall as a sample of my work. You then notice, even though they are not side by side, there is a difference. Mine looks rich, and alive, and lush. Yours..... ummmmm.... doesn't?  Did I do something special to the file? No I just sent it to a professional lab to have it printed on HIGH QUALITY PAPER or CANVAS. Mine will last for years and years.  Yours may begin to fade in a couple of years. 

So where does the me part come into it? Well, from a business sense, when I sell you a digital file, you then have the ability to print that image in any medium, any size you would like. How much revenue does that one file potentially represent to me? Yes I know it's a selfish reason, but I do have to make a living also.

With all that being said, I am considering selling digital files as a premium product and in addition to the purchase of a legacy piece.  Watch for this on the new pricelists coming soon.

Below is a link to an article by the UK Telegraph regarding Google's Vice President's view on Print and Digital images.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11410506/Print-out-digital-photos-or-risk-losing-them-Google-boss-warns.html

No comments:

Post a Comment